Monday 26 August 2013

Fungi and forestry


Last week was a very busy week for me. The hide walks continue out to Loch Scridain and we often see the birds out the back, either on the mountains or in their favourite trees.



This recent photo shows Iona in the tree overlooking the Loch in the rain. I have often seen her back at the nest site in the tree there especially when it’s raining hard. August has seen rain most days, and it’s felt more like April.

I have noticed also there has been so much fungi around in the woods - some lovely macro photography to be had if you are keen on nature, like I am.


On Thursday we had a visit from the Forestry Commission and their senior managers who were looking at our hide and site to see in what way we could improve the signage and experience.
A lot was discussed, all for the better and I was very pleased to meet Louise who helps me with this blog!

On Friday, although it was very wet, I had a great day we saw the birds all day and the group of people that came were great fun and lovely people.
I love meeting all those who come from all over the world to this hide it such a great place to work.
Last week I also did a ranger event called Fun with Doggies which went very well in the local woods. Part of my job as a ranger is that I have to do about 15 events through the summer on other subjects and in the north part of the island.

Next week is my last day at the hide. My contract ends then, and John Clare from the RSPB will be about for another three weeks.

If you want to visit the hide please make sure you book as some days we are not open all the time so I do not want you to have wasted journey, call us on 01680 812556.

Until next time, have a good week. I am off for a photography ranger walk this afternoon…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments on the blog. We've got a few house rules:
1. We (Forestry Commission Scotland) will review all comments and reserve the right to not publish them at our discretion.
2. There will be a time delay between submission and posting. Comments posted on a Saturday or Sunday won't be moderated until the following Monday.
3. Please make comments appropriate and relevant.
4. If you've a comment or question about Mull Sea Eagles you can e-mail mull.ranger@forestry.gsi.gov.uk as we might not be able to respond here.
5. We won't publish comments that are abusive, indecent, unlawful or defamatory; published comments may be removed at any time; and individuals are personally liable for the comments they submit.
Thanks!